If you plan on cleaning the gutters on your home yourself, then there are a few things you will want to know in order to stay safe. Cleaning the gutters is more than just about getting on the roof and emptying out leaves and other dirt in the gutters. You want to be sure that you are using the right tools in order to stay safe. Here are some safety tips for you to be aware of:
- Use a Ladder: A ladder is much safer to use than just climbing on the roof. This is because a ladder will keep you more stable when you are working on cleaning the gutters. When you are on the roof, there is a much greater chance that you can slip and fall, since there is nothing that you can grip onto.
- Use Work Gloves: Since the gutters work to carry water away from your home, this water can become stagnent where there is blockage from leaves and other dirt. This is the perfect place to harbor harmful molds and other bacterias. Wearing gloves is going to help prevent you from getting sick. You also want to wear work gloves because you never know if there are going to be sharp sticks or other objects in the gutters that could cut you.
- Use a Rope-Drawn Bucket for Debris: When you are cleaning the gutters, you are going to want to fill a bucket with the debris that you remove. However, you shouldn’t carry a bucket with you while you are on the ladder, since this can be dangerous. Instead, you can attach the bucket to rope, which will help you to lower it in order to dump it out when you need more room.
- Have a Helper: Cleaning the gutters on your own is not something that you should do completely by yourself. You should have a family member or friend there with you. This will ensure that they can hold the ladder still if necessary, as well as provide you with some help when you need to dump the bucket. This is much safer, especially in the case that you accidently fall. Someone will be there to ensure that you receive any help or medical attention that you need.
- Watch for Nests: When you are cleaning the gutters, be sure that you look out for wasp nests, which are common to find in gutters. You will not want to disturb this nest; instead, stop cleaning and call pest control services who can remove the nest safely.
By following these safety tips, you can be sure that you are going to be effective at cleaning the gutters for your home. Employing a professional, such as Victoria Window Cleaning, to do it for you will also ensure efficiency and safety.